Green and growing

My story about being a Green politician in Canada, and why it was the best thing I ever did.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Transitions and eclipses

Yesterday, I had a number of interesting experiences. It began when I awoke early in the morning, around 5:00 AM. I was already thinking about work and what I had to get done that day, so I knew I would not be able to get back to sleep.

When I got downstairs, I looked out the window and noticed that it was dark. Of course, most mornings at 5:00 am, you would expect that. However, the night before, I had noticed a big beautiful, almost full, moon, and I was surprised that there was no moonlight. I stepped outside, and saw the setting full moon at the beginning phases of a lunar eclipse. I remembered a friend on facebook mentioning waiting for an eclipse, but I had not checked out when one might be happening next (see skyviewcafe.com for a great online astronomical guide, including planets and eclipses). I am pleased to have stumbled into it.

At this point, the top portion of the moon was covered by the penumbra (partial shadow) of the earth, and only a small crescent of white remained at the bottom. It was quite interesting, because the colour was a reddish purple, caused by the same refraction in the earth's atmosphere that causes gorgeous sunrises and sunsets. As I watched, the crescent slowly disappeared, and the dark umbra (full shadow) began to encroach on the moon from above. As the moment of total eclipse approached, the moon disappeared. This was not due to the eclipse, but rather low lying clouds on the horizon, coupled with the first rays of the sunrise washing out the sky. Still, it was a beautiful sight. People further west would have a better view of this particular eclipse.

Later that day, I helped my daughter make some arrangements for going to school in Guelph and then said bon voyage to my son, who is heading to Winnipeg for school. I am very thankful to have them in my life. Although the next phase of their lives is beyond my current horizon, I look forward to learning about new developments in their lives. I am very proud of them both.

We never know when the best moments of our lives will be. I think it is important to remain open to the idea that it could be happening right now. Yesterday, I was able to do that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home