Green and growing

My story about being a Green politician in Canada, and why it was the best thing I ever did.

Friday, September 01, 2006

Community

As times change, so does our sense of community. I have been a member of a number of on-line forums, and all of them seem to have a lifetime. People join in, there is spirited discussion, and sometimes they continue and sometimes they don't. Other people I have met through email, msn, or skype.

I feel like I know many of the people in these online communities. I have had the pleasure of meeting some of them in person, but most only online. They have made their impressions on me, and some have found their way into my heart as well.

I think that if I try hard enough, I can find a point of connection with anyone. Wouldn't it be great if we all did that?

I guess this doesn't have much to do with politics, except that I believe that politics is about expressing the will of the community or communities that politicians are to represent. I am proud of the Green Party for engaging so many people in the policy development process. I saw many different and divergent opinions expressed at the convention in Ottawa last week, and I was amazed at how the diversity was handled .. with respect, with true listening, and with compromise and a genuine desire to achieve concensus. It really is a community in action.

Peace,
Jim

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home