Green and growing

My story about being a Green politician in Canada, and why it was the best thing I ever did.

Sunday, November 03, 2019

Looking from the outside

In the 2019 Federal election last month, I had the honour of being the Campaign Manager for Anthony Li in Lambton-Kent-Middlesex. It was the first time in 14 years that I was not the candidate.

It was a little strange getting used to that perspective, but I also found it liberating. I was able to step back a little bit and observe the election.

I found myself disappointed.

I am disappointed in our electoral system, which has consistently given a significant statistical advantage to the Liberal and Conservative parties ... so much so that they have formed every government since Confederation some 152 years ago. We are well past the time that we should implement proportional representation.

I am disappointed in our federal leaders. With the exception of Elizabeth May, I found the leaders childish, rude, bickering talking heads. How can Canadians come to understand the subtle differences of policy in this cacophony of insults?

I am disappointed with the voters, over one third of whom voted "strategically". That is, they played into the statistical advantage mentioned above and voted Liberal to stop the Conservatives, or Conservative to stop the Liberals. If those 1/3 of voters had voted for they really want instead of trying to pick the "winner", we would have a different government, and would have sent a clearer message to those who did win.

I am disappointed with the people who didn't vote. Their indifference has lead to the conditions which have given us lack lustre results, politicians who blatantly lie to us, and government who feel that they can do whatever they want once in power. We can't call these people to account if we check out of the system.

I am disappointed with the ongoing persistent myths surrounding the denial of climate change. We have to believe the scientists. We need to act now, or as soon as we can. The window is closing on this, and many generations to follow will have to pay for our incompetance.

Within this, I am proud of young people like Anthony, who was willing to commit an enormous amount of time at great personal expense to give the people of LKM a meaningful choice. In this, I find hope. Under his candidacy, the Green Party was the only party to show an increase in popular vote in this riding. Every other party went down in their percentage of popular vote.

This is what I will focus on. I believe that what we pay attention to expands our consciousness in the direction of the object of focus.

Jim
November 3, 2019

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home